Religion seems very peaceful..it looks as if it is an organization filled with good members that are willing to do good to the world. If this is the case, no atheists or non-believers or anyone against religion will attack it and try to stop it. I feel fighting dogma is my job. I feel spreading some facts that I know, and other billions scientists know is a job for me. I do not fight the Good Titled Religion. I do not attack people who have faith. I do not attack good people who practice their own beliefs. I fight those who use their God name to do evil acts. I fight those who put god as an excuse to do what they want. “My God said killing other people because they have different religion is true! so I am doing it!” (in fact, this what happens). I pin-point contradictions, things don’t make sense, question everything that seems irrational in religion to fill my human need for answers and curiosity. By only looking at history, religion does more troubles than goodness. No? You think Christianity didn’t harm anyone? Its not all about candles and love that you see in churches. Let me give you few examples that shows how Religion can be a good excuse for unwanted acts.
- The Crusades.
- The wars between the Catholics and the Protestants in Europe. (Thirty Years’ Wars).
- World War 1 started because of a religious fanatic shot Archduke Franz Ferdinand.
- The African wars between the Hutus and the Tutsi’s.
- The Arab-Israeli war(s) were of course, religiously motivated.
- The millennia long conflicts between the Shia and the Kurds are religiously motivated.
- The conflict between Israel and Lebanon (Hezbollah) is undeniably religious in nature.
- The Children’s Crusade (1212) caused the deaths of nearly 50,000 children
- There were the Salem witch trials (1692) in America.
- The Taiping Rebellion in China in the 1850’s. A Christian cult started a war that resulted in the slaughter of twenty million people
- In the Holocaust six million Jews were murdered.
- Muslims and Christians in Bosnia reached a death toll of over 250,000.
Fighting with your God’s name will never be acceptable. This list can go on forever. Briefly, if you have a small church in your house and thousands of holy books- no one will bother you. Or make all your daughters wear a veil- we will not care. Religion should be something private, something you do personally with your own God. Don’t let it affect anybody. But when wars are being caused because this what your religion says right, we will fight it.
A NYT article, “Killing in the Name of “ Leana Wena talked about an interview with General Nkunda on how he led his troops in a religious fervor. It says:
“Apparently, he is very influenced by the evangelist movement, and as a pastor in the Pentecostal church, he helps to convert and baptize his troops. He proudly sported a pin, “Rebels for Christ.” Before each drink and meal, he and his faithful prayed. “We fight in the name of the Lord,” he told us. “That is what I tell all my troops. When they fight, they have God on their side.”
Rebel? Fight? who on earth would say that Religion is a peaceful movement? Was he really using God as a license to kill? Was it really his conviction that God was helping him in his battel, or was he using “God’s excuse” as a way to lie, manipulate, convince his troops in this way? It would not be the first time that the name of God has been used to consolidate power.. above examples are the proof.
The basic values of humanity would not accept any acts such that killing and maiming innocent people in ANYONE’S name.
Eveil acts that are in the name of someone’s “bad morals and humanitarian self” is much more convincing than doing it in the name of God- and yet- still call religion peaceful.